Best 1st Day of School Activity

Thursday, September 1, 2011
I have been searching high and low for some basic entry tasks for my middle school science class room. I was (am still) looking for something simple...and more importantly something that was already created for me, and I came across this short video:


I haven't read the book, but my husband has...and he loved it. So, basically...I started class today by showing this short clip and then afterwards, I posted this question on my smartboard: "What is your sentence for THIS YEAR at school?" I told them that it didn't have to be specific to my class. It could be about a different class, a sporting season, their relationship with friends, their relationship with God, etc. I told them to think about what they wanted to others to say about them by the end of this school year. Once they came up with their "sentence" I asked them to come up with at least three steps that they would need to take in order to make their "sentence" a reality.

I must say, I was beyond proud of the sentences that my students turned in:
  • She brightened peoples days when they were feeling down.
  • She shines Jesus in whatever she does.
  • She is the one who cheered people up.
  • He helped his classmates succeed in what they do and let them know that they have a friend that will be there for them.
  • She was a great person, an awesome friend, a strong woman of God, and I want to be like her.
  • He always did his best.
  • She lived for God and she was an influence on everyone she met. 
  • He was a good friend.
These are just a few examples of what my students turned in. I am so proud of them. Throughout the year, we will be looking back at our "sentences" and asking ourselves the second question from the video: "Am I better today than I was yesterday?"

I thought this was such a fun way to start the school year. Let me know if you use this in your class. I would love to hear some of your student responses as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top